I don't often make a pitch for charity events, but this one is pretty special. The local chapter of the Asian American Journalists Association is holding it's first hopefully annual East West Eats dinner.
Here are my top five reasons you should consider going:
1. The venue, the Ferry Building is quite spectacular for special events
2. The food should also be quite spectacular considering the chefs are:
Charles Phan of Slanted Door
Robert Lam of Butterfly
Hung Le of Three Seasons
Peter Pahk of Silverado
Kirk Webber of Cafe Kati
Anjan and Emily Mitra of Dosa
Mutsumi Takhara of Slanted Door
Chris Yeo of Straits
3. As Charles Phan said, "It's a good way to sample, you get to see several restaurants at one time "
4. It's a good cause, the association assists Asian Americans in pursuing journalism careers and encourages fair, sensitive and accurate news coverage of Asian American issues
5. I'm on the honorary committee along with:
Phil Bronstein, Executive Vice President and Editor, San Francisco Chronicle
Nguyen Qui Duc, Host and Producer, KQED's Pacific Time
Susan Goldberg, Executive Editor, San Jose Mercury News
Sydnie Kohara, Anchor, KPIX
Marion Nestle, Professor and Author of "What to Eat" and "Food Politics"
Patricia Unterman, author "San Francisco Food Lovers' Guide" and chef at Hayes Street Grill
Wilfred Wong, Cellarmaster, Beverages & More! and judge of the Chronicle Wine Competition
I hope you'll come and if you do, please say hi!
Over at Bay Area Bites is my interview with Charles Phan of Slanted Door.